Back in 2004, when I was helping to mobilize the 1-148th Field Artillery, I met "Father John". I don't remember his last name and he was widely called just Father John, but he was also a Captain (CH), the Battalion Chaplain for 1-148 and same rank as me, so we could converse without any formality. Father John was a good man, he shepherded two Catholic Parishes in SE Idaho, at once. In Idaho, Catholics are scarce as hens teeth, and I thought it odd that a Catholic Priest was the Battalion Chaplain for a Battalion that was probably 70% LDS (Mormon).
Like I said, Father John was a good man, and he loved the soldiers under his pastoral care. I remember him going over to another camp at Ft. Bliss, where one of the battalion's soldiers had apparently been bitten by a Brown Recluse spider, but wasn't being treated properly. Father John went to the leadership and raised cane to get that soldier taken care of. The Brigade Chaplain (a real political type) dressed him down over that and told him to "stick to his job." His reply, "I AM doing my job. I'm caring for my flock. I thought that was a Chaplains first duty". He was livid and vented to me, and whoever else was in the vicinity at the time. By the end of the deployment, Father John was the Brigade Chaplain and a Major.
He was also a pragmatic guy and a "real" person. He told CW3 Tim Kindle (a fellow member of our AC/RC detachment and a good friend) and I at lunch one day how he was educated at the University of Idaho and how he used to go across the border to Montana on weekends because the drinking age over there was 18. He also told us that he believed the Church should allow Priests to marry because the European Church believes that man can only do one thing at a time well but American Priests believe they can be both a good husband/father and Priest.
But anyway, to the point of the story: I ran across this picture on facebook tonight. It is from SemperToons. They're a good bunch to follow if you're looking for some motivation. The caption said, "This is why we fight and fight we will...., forever!"
Now, you're probably asking, what does this have to do with an unmarried Catholic Priest from Idaho. Well, I went to one (several, but I remember this one, and its relevant) of Father John's services while we were down at Ft. Bliss. [Let me digress for a moment here. In the military, Chaplains have their own faith/denomination, but they minister to all faith groups. Their messages generally focus on our shared faith in Jesus Christ (if they're Christian, others I assume, are more specific). Hence, a Catholic Priest serving in a LDS Battalion.] Well, at this service, he chose to address the doubts the soldiers might be having. He spoke about "Why we're doing this". He recounted his personal story of one of his last days in his Parish when, after Mass, a little five year old girl ran up to him, hugged him around his legs, and said, "I love you Father John!" He told the gathered soldiers that is why he was going, so that little girl could have a bright future, a future without the fear and apprehension we had all experienced after 9/11. A future where she wouldn't have to deal with all that because, "We went before."
I think that is why they all go. They may not even have kids, or nieces or nephews, but they all want a better, safer, stronger country for those who are coming after them. Its not about them, its about those next in line.
P.S. I loved Father John, too.
Administrative note: Truth in advertising, after thinking about it, this sermon was probably at Gowen Field, ID, during their Annual Training assembly (the two weeks a year). I know the conversation about drinking in Montana and Priest marriage happened there in the little snack bar. At that AT, the Battalion knew they were going, but didn't know all the details, so they were training strictly on pre-deployment tasks instead of the normal Artillery mission.
Also, after doing a little Google research, I found that Father John is still ministering in the Pocatello and Soda Springs area.



No comments:
Post a Comment